I (Amanda) realized a few weeks ago that I am experiencing most of the signs of burnout.
It is not a fun place to be.
There are a few bits of good news:
- Being able to name what is wrong has given me the ability to actually do something about it.
- I am in a situation now where my responsibilities don’t run me into the ground on a daily basis.
- The work I was doing was really worth it.
However, there are a couple side effects of burnout I am experiencing that I want to mention on the blog:
- pessimism, and the feeling like nothing we are doing has any effect
- not wanting to be with people or communicate with them
I think that that probably explains why I have struggled to post every week? I have tried a few times, but even when I have managed to start writing, none of it seems like it is worth reading.
It is getting better, in general: it is just going to take some time. I wanted to let you know that we haven’t abandoned the blog, and will try to post when we have news!